Thank you for spending the day with us at McHenry County College! We hope the conference was helpful to your research and that you had a great time connecting with other genealogists.
Hope to see you next year!
And my answer is – YES! This is the third time that I went to this Conference. It is only about an hour away from Beloit, and well worth your time. They have fabulous, knowledgeable speakers, and the cost is $70, including lunch.
The McHenry County Illinois Genealogical Society’s 2017 Summer Conference was held on Saturday, July 8, 2017 at McHenry County College, 8900 Rt. 14, Crystal Lake, Illinois.
This year’s annual conference featured:
- Mary M. Tedesco, host/genealogist on the PBS TV series Genealogy Roadshow, (seasons 2 &3). Contact her through the ORIGINS ITALY website at www.originsitaly.com. She gave lots of techniques for good, basic genealogy, and how to find the names and locations of origin for your ancestors from overseas. I attended a second session that Mary gave on how to find your Italian ancestors. Mary is every bit as knowledgeable and friendly as she appears on television. I enjoyed getting to know her a bit.
Vicki Hahn and Mary Tedesco:
- Thomas MacEntee, creator of GeneaBloggers.com. I got to talk with Thomas, but had too many other sessions that I needed to hear. I was not able to go to one given by him this year like I have other years.
- Paul Milner, author, & specialist in British Isles & U.S. research. He gave a session on how to find your Irish ancestors.
- Michael Lacopo DVM, nationally known lecturer – adoption, emigration & immigration, and many ethnic groups. He gave a session on how to find your German ancestors.
- A variety of vendors with publications and genealogy supplies.
Each of the speakers gave us a one week course in one hour! Soon, I will be condensing all of that information, (plus more that I have learned elsewhere), into one session on “Finding your Overseas Ancestors”. Be looking for a program on “jumping the pond” in our Stateline Genealogy Club programs next year.
These topics came at a perfect time, as I am about ready to search outside of the United States. I have learned from these experts that it is not an easy task, but they prepared me well (enough) to begin the search.
Several of them would lend professional assistance to you if you decide to hire an expert, or if you need a knowledgeable guide to help you in Europe.
Join me next year.
MCIGS 2018 SUMMER CONFERENCE
Saturday, July 7, 2018 SAVE THE DATE!
McHenry County Illinois Genealogical Society P.O. Box 184, Crystal Lake, Illinois 60014 www.mcigs.org email:firstname.lastname@example.org Phone:815/687-0436